Thursday, July 21, 2011

Shine on

I was bracing myself for a bad day when it started like this...


Quite the shiner, eh? It's extra red because we had been icing it. Before you call Child Protective Services, it was just an accident. Leo tends to over-react and get super upset over little things. The Duplo blocks were causing drama again this morning and there was lots of screaming and tears. Since I'm not a fan of empty threats, I decided to follow through with bagging up all the Duplo and taking them away. While I was getting a trash bag out from under the sink, Leo threw himself at my legs to protest and attempt to prevent my actions, but he missed and hit the floor. Poor kid. I didn't even realize he was hurt because he was screaming for me not to take the blocks away. I put the bag in the garage and explained to him we were simply taking a break from the blocks and he could have them back tomorrow if he shows me that he can have more appropriate reactions. He calmed down and I noticed the giant lump on his cheek. I grabbed the ice pack and we cuddled on the couch for a while so we could both recover.

The day improved after that. One highlight was having the neighbor girls over to swim.
Serafina had fun in the water too.
Leo's face looked much better by dinner time. More like a dirty smudge than a large contusion. Guess that's better.

No comments: