Sunday, June 7, 2015

Serafina's big recital: "California Dreaming"

The months leading up to Serafina's dance recital have been exhausting and annoying.  She attends a studio with demanding (and expensive) requirements for the recital.  It is a very big deal.  I wasn't really jiving with the intense vibe around this event and have been struggling to deal with it, but it has been very exciting for Serafina.  In fact, she has talked about it non-stop for weeks and would ask us "are you excited about my recital?" several times a day.  

Yesterday was the big day.  She and I got up and out early for her 9am dress rehearsal.  But first a quick picture.  I didn't slick back her hair with gel for the rehearsal but did for the performance.  That was a rookie move since I was only allowed to take pictures during rehearsal and she didn't look quite as sharp.  

Still pretty stinking cute.  Here's the required front yard picture.  

The recital theme was "California Dreaming" and all the dances reflected parts of California.  For example, the La Brea Tar Pits were represented by a dance called "Sinking", Santa Ana was "Waltz of the Summer Winds" and (Leo's favorite) San Andreas Fault was "Shake it Off".  

Serafina's class was the California Sunshine and they danced to The Beatles' "Here Comes the Sun".  Here they are taking the stage.  

 My lovely dancer with her chin up and arms looking lovely.
 Whoops, a yawn during a break.


 Mess hair, she don't care.
 Good stage smile.





Big finale with all the dancers on stage and the seniors/soloists in the front.  


We were at rehearsal for three hours so when we got home, I tried to have her take it easy.  We were due back at the theater at six.  Here she is waiting to go in with her hair properly gelled.  

With Ana, who was in two dances so had to wear one costume and bring her second one.  
One final picture before she went backstage.  
Unfortunately, Nana didn't feel well so she wasn't able to join us, but Serafina still had a big cheering section since our other dance friends were there and my friend Lina brought her two boys to see all the girls they know perform.  

Here's Max and Leo at intermission dressed uncannily similar.  
Pulling off their own dance moves.  

I'm not sure I can put into words what it's like to see your little girl perform on the big stage and perform really well.  She was beautiful, graceful and radiated joy.  And she was really good!  She knew what she was doing out there and did it well.  My friend Aida declared her a natural and I think she might be right.  Tom and I were both extremely moved by the experience.  

Here she is with all her celebratory flowers after the performance.  It was 10pm at this point.  
 Leo was a very good audience member.  He liked many of the dances and kept himself entertained with a book when he was a little less interested.  I was proud of him too.
 With little Lane (in the youngest class), Lane's big sister Emma and Ana.  Overflowing with flowers and happiness after a really special night.

My friend took video during rehearsal and hopefully I'll be able to post it soon.  All and all, it was a challenging, exhausting experience but very special and memorable.  

No comments: