Friday, May 11, 2018

Challenging week

Last Thursday, Serafina's stomach was bothering her so I let her skip dance class.  She felt better the next day so she went to school and I did my usual exercise class.  But it wasn't the usual because it was May the Fourth and a Star Wars theme dress up day.  I never dress up on the theme days, except for this one!  

 Saturday was Cinco de Mayo and we had a potluck at my friend Lizzy's house.  Leo went to Nana's but the rest of us went to the party.  Serafina wasn't 100% but seemed to be doing okay enough to have fun and eat Mexican food.  Tom made this dish with poblano chilies, cheese and tortillas.  I decided it was a Mexican lasagna and it totally was.  It was also delicious.
 When we got home that night Serafina wasn't well.  She had a rough night and slept with me while Tom slept in her bed.  She was sick Sunday morning too but we put her on the BRAT (bananas, rice, applesauce, toast) diet and gave her some medicine.  She wasn't happy about the limited food, but it made her feel better.  In fact, she was well enough to attend her dear friend Jane's baptism that evening.  Jane was baptized at her Mormon church and it was very lovely ceremony.  I hadn't attended a Mormon service before even though I know lots of Mormons through our school community.  Here's the friends at the baptism: (left to right) Alissa, Millie, Jane and Serafina.
 Right after that picture was taken I started to feel deeply unwell.  Serafina was a good sport about rushing out of there.  I ended up getting way sicker than Serafina.  Tom also felt lousy and we stayed home miserable on Monday.  Tom was on his way back to normal the next day but it lasted a lot longer for me.  It's been rough.  During all of this, it was also teacher appreciation week.  I made two batches of cookies, a tray of brownies, a tray of blondies, bought flowers and gift cards and helped host a teacher luncheon.  Yesterday I was at the school from 8am to 2pm.

Teacher appreciation week is totally bonkers at the kids' school and the primary reason I don't volunteer to be Room Mom.  Monday each kid brings a flower and they are arranged into a bouquet for the teacher.  Wednesday the kids bring cards and Friday they bring gift cards.  The expectation is that Room Moms will display and/or present both types of cards in a creative way.  Um, no thanks.  Here's the card my kid made for Wednesday.

 Yesterday I took a break from setting up the luncheon to see Leo do his book presentation.  He read "Who Was Steve Jobs?" and we headed to the Apple Visitor Center to make a video for his assignment.



Here's the video in two parts.  We filmed it over the winter school break and had a hell of a time editing it, but he was happy with the end product and his classmates liked it.  
Leo has had a sour stomach on and off since yesterday.  Not fully sick, but not fully well.  Today is the first day I felt mostly normal and I even ate a real dinner.  I'm optimistic that this is pretty much behind us and Leo will only get better and better.

No comments: