Sunday, January 20, 2019

Roller Rink

It was raining outside and Tom and Grandpa Skip were settling in for an afternoon of football, so the kids and I invited some friends to the roller rink.  

Sunny was fresh off an indoor soccer game, but she still wanted to do some skating.  

 Leo had never been on roller skates and it's been a long time since he ice skated, but he was excited to give it a go.

First he started off with this strange toe push technique. 
 Then he tried what could best be described as "skate walking".

It didn't take long for him to get the hang of it and figure out how to flow a little smoother.  

Don't get me wrong, he was still herky-jerky and flailing about, and he fell more times than I could count, but he loved it.  He had a huge smile on his face and never got upset when he bit the dust.  When I would roll by him he would shout "I'm having so much fun" or "I love this".
 Sunny wasn't having too much fun in the beginning.  In fact, she was doing a fair share of crying because she felt so unsteady.
Her mom tried to help her but she was still frustrated.
I was worried she would give up completely, but Serafina stayed with her in the little learning area beside the main rink and she started to get more comfortable.

I was really proud of Serafina for sticking with her friend.  Eventually, Sunny felt more comfortable and they made it to the main rink.


 Of course, the main rink has it hazards.  Mainly, the adults...

Leo was totally fine despite this huge guy knocking him down.  The guy was very apologetic and Leo went on to skate a ton more completely unfazed.

Here are the girls taking a break.

 The whole skating crew.  We had a really good time.

No comments: