Tuesday, June 5, 2018

Spirit Week - Day Two: hat day

Today was Hat Day.  It's probably the easiest of the dress up days.  




It was also Park Day for the 4th graders.  I've always chaperoned Park Days in the past, but the fourth grade teachers specified that this was a teacher and student only event.  Apparently, parents showed up in the past with treats for their kid's class but not all the kids.  Anyway, I felt a little strange about not going to the park since it's something I'm used to doing, but that feeling didn't last all day.  That's because I got to go to the park.  Leo's teacher texted me at 1pm that he had hurt his leg playing on the baby swing and he didn't think he could make the walk back to school.  She wanted to know if I could pick him up to drive him the four blocks back to school.  I showed up at park and he was sitting with his friend Elouan (who was messing with the ice pack), his teacher, Noa, Sydney and Addison.  I did drive him to school and signed him out so he could be dismissed at the same time as Serafina.  His leg is fine.  It's bruised but that's it.  

 When we got back to school, he had a little bit of time before going home and he drew this picture of the incident.
 He included his friend Elouan laying on the ground laughing at him while Leo dangled out of the swing.  Apparently Leo didn't appreciate being laughed at during a trying time.  Of course, he got in trouble yesterday for laughing at Serafina when she was upset about getting a piece of tortilla chip in her eye.  Life lessons in empathy and compassion are not in short supply around here.

While I was at school, I ran into Serafina having a final playtime and popsicle with her kindergarten reading buddy, Sedona.


No comments: