Tomorrow night, I plan to nurse Serafina for the last time. The boys are going to the monster truck rally in Oakland, but then after that, Tom will put her to bed for a few nights to change the routine and break the habit. I'm sure she will do fine with it; I'm the one who is upset. I had such a rough start with nursing when Leo was a newborn but it has become an empowering part of my life, not to mention, an incredible bond with my children. But despite the heartache I'm feeling, I need relief from the boobache. I'm not making much milk and it's uncomfortable to nurse. I'm ready to do all the things nursing got in the way of - take medication, be away from the house at bedtime, maybe even get some botox. Boo-yah!
I was asked recently how people react to my extended breastfeeding. Since I do it in private, I don't hear comments from strangers. My friends and family have been very supportive, though they may roll their eyes behind my back. And my husband has been great about it. Breastfeeding is a handy tool for a parent and I've whipped out a boob in plenty of airplanes, doctors' offices and park benches to easy pain/fear/sadness.
So after about four years and a five months, this journey is over.
I'll miss it, but I hope someday I'll be able to support and encourage other nursing moms.
Nursing Leo, October 2007
Nursing Serafina and Leo's doll, September 2009
My nurslings enjoying the warm weather yesterday.
No comments:
Post a Comment