After battling cancer, my aunt Mary Ellen died this evening at the home she shared with my aunt Sheila. My mom was there, along with Sheila and Mary Ellen's friend, Elaine. It was painless and peaceful. The pain is now with the living - the heartbreak of losing someone we love. My aunt Mary Ellen has always been in my life and will always be in my heart. I remember her frequently telling me "mellow out" when I was being high-strung or emotional as a kid. I was annoyed by this at the time since whatever my reason for being amped up seemed justified and huge in my child mind, but she was right. I needed to mellow out. I still do most of the time. I find myself telling my kids these words almost daily. They are just like me in many ways, for better or worse.
I'll miss Mary Ellen. She was always good to me and she really loved my kids. She read this blog and kept up with our lives even though we only saw her a few times a year when we visit Seal Beach. We saw her on our last visit earlier this month. Tom spent some time chatting with her; the kids popped in and out of her room to say hello. I didn't spend as much time as I should have but it was hard for me to see her so weak and thin. She knew I loved her, though, and I always will.
Here are a few pictures.
From February 2008, with Digna, Uncle Gene and baby Leo.
Golfing with Leo, February 2010.
At cousin Ciara's wedding, July 2011.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment