At the end of last dance season, Serafina seemed pretty burned out. She had already dropped her hip hop class many months before and she wasn't really enjoying her jazz class. She was even talking about quitting dance even though it is something she really loves. After some discussion, she told me she really wanted to try lyrical dance. I knew her usual dance studio didn't have a lyrical class for kids her age so I began a hunt for a new studio with a lyrical dance class option for young dancers. I was lucky enough to find one in nearby Cupertino. We went over the summer to find out more and they told us she needed to be co-enrolled in a ballet class. She hasn't taken ballet in a couple years but they let her enroll in an advanced beginner class. The first class was last week, but since we were in Mexico, today was her first day. She was beyond nervous. It made me so nervous. I knew she didn't have anything to worry about, but she was so worried about everything. We made sure we followed the dress code, bun requirement and got there a few minutes early. Of course it was all fine. The teacher was nice and she enjoyed it. She'll have her first lyrical class on Thursday.
I love this quick picture I snapped as we were walking to the studio. Doesn't she look the part?
And check out the look on her face. Pure annoyance with her goofy mom and my insistence that I take a picture. I'm confident this is a look I'll be getting for the next 10+ years.
No comments:
Post a Comment