Friday, June 28, 2019

Hamilton

At the beginning of ski season last year, we were all getting a little tired of the playlist we had been listening to on the drive there and back.  I suggested we give the Hamilton soundtrack a try.  I knew other kids the same age as my kids were big fans so I thought it might click with them.  Did it ever!  They became pretty obsessed, until the point Tom and I had to say "no more Hamilton!"  They knew all the words and really wanted to see the show live.  Hamilton came to San Francisco in February so Tom and I started playing the daily lottery to win tickets.  We never won and even if we had won, the lottery only gives you two tickets.  Who would go and who would forever be scarred by missing the only show that matters?  In April, ticket prices came down and just about everyone we knew was going to see it in April and May.  We decided that as an end-of-school-year gift that we would take the kids in June.  Tom created a riddle for them to figure out what their special outing was going to be, but he made it a little too easy for our Hamilton obsessed kids.

Last night was the big night.  We headed up to the city pretty early and the kids explore a park in the city center.

 This cool sculpture was in front of the Asian American Art Museum.
 We put our name in at the restaurant down the street and headed to the theater for some pictures.



 I'm glad we did the pictures early because when we returned after dinner, there were lots of people milling around and it would have been much harder to take a picture.
 Here's a couple from inside the theater before the show started.

I was definitley worried it wouldn't live up to the hype but it went above and beyond all expectations.  We were all awe-struck and moved by the show.  We all want to see it again but I'm not sure that will happen.  I'm very glad we did get to see it and it's an experience we won't ever forget.

No comments: