Monday, December 22, 2008

Rough Day

Leo's fever improved during the night, but it has come and gone all day. And what a day it was. Last night, I noticed his right testicle looked a little purple, but I figured he must of landed on a toy or something and bruised it. (I'm sure he'll be thrilled to know I discussed his testes on the internet.) This morning it was swollen, which made me nervous, especially in combo with the fever. I called the doctor and she said to take him right to urgent care. I ended up letting him have his morning nap first since he didn't seem particularly uncomfortable. Thank god I did because we were there for five hours. We started out in urgent care and spent over two hours in a small exam room. This was definitely a test of my creative mothering skills to keep Leo entertained during that time. We had a surgery consult and the docs decided we needed to have an ultrasound. Thankfully, Tom was able to come over from work and help me take Leo and all our stuff down to the imagining center. Leo was a trooper during most of the ultrasound, but he become frustrated with how long it was taking and peed on the tech. He began to really fuss so I nursed him while she finished up. It was awkward and stressful, but I'm glad we got through it. Back up to our favorite urgent care exam room to wait for the results. By this time, Leo was way overdue for his afternoon nap and melting down. The doctor (who was really great) came in to explain Leo has a hernia. An inguinal hernia, to be exact. It is somewhat common in little boys. It will require surgery to correct it, but it isn't urgent. The doctor said we can wait a few weeks or even a few months. I think we are going to try to do it sooner rather than later. It was a stressful day for everyone. Worrying that much is exhausting. We definitely feel lucky that it isn't something more serious, but I dread sending my baby into surgery.

We're off to New York tomorrow (on the red eye), so I'll post once we're back in town.

1 comment:

Jessiedc28 said...

Good luck! I think my brother had this and for the most party he's OK. *wink*