Friday, March 12, 2021

A Year Without a Classroom

One year ago today was the last time these kids were in a classroom.  I've seen plenty of people on social media put a positive spin on living through this pandemic - gushing how this has allowed them so much togetherness and whatnot.  I can't say I share that sentiment.  I like time to myself, and my kids learn better in a classroom.  Fortunately, things are improving and a return to normalcy (or a new version of normal) is on the horizon.  More and more people are receiving vaccines. In fact, my mom got her second dose on Thursday.  

Local schools are making plans to reopen, though that won't impact my kids.  Obviously, Serafina was pulled out of the district when we opted to homeschool.  We do not regret this decision. Leo's school announced in December that it will be closing permanently at the end of this school year and not reopening for in-person learning this year.  The small school's enrollment was already low before coronavirus and unfortunately the pandemic brought about its end.  I was devastated when I received this news and bawled my eyes out. I love Leo's school and his teachers there.  They "get" him and that is so huge.  I couldn't believe he wasn't going to be able to do his final year of middle school at Sierra School. And worst yet, I couldn't believe I was going to have to find him a new school.  School searches are stressful, and even just my preliminary poking around made it very clear that we were getting an amazing bargain with Sierra School.  Maybe that contributed to their downfall.  I asked around for recommendations and did some internet searching, but a yard sign reminded me of a local charter middle school.  I looked into it and attended their virtual information meeting.  I talked to a mom whose daughter had attended the school. That young lady has similar learning differences and anxiety issues as my kids.  They were very happy with the school.  My kids and I took a private tour, and they both were fans.  They said they wanted to go there.  Here's the thing with a charter school...admission is based on a lottery system.  We had to hold our breaths and wait until the lottery date of March 5th.  I didn't have a plan B.  I figured I would make a plan B if they didn't get in.  Luckily, they both got spots to attend next year.  It will be the first time they are the same school in three years. I'm pretty confident they will actually be able to attend in person too, which is great.  

 This is a grim milestone of a year without traditional schooling.  We are lucky we have stayed healthy and Tom has stayed employed, but it's been hard.  It will continue to be hard for a little bit longer. But there is light on the horizon.  I sometimes go back and read blog posts about times that seemed really difficult while we were living through them, like when Serafina broke her leg or was doing early intervention for speech. It's interesting to relive those times. I recently read some posts from this time last year.  Oh man, were we naïve.  I wonder what it will feel like to read about this years from now.  Right now, it feels a little too soon. 

No comments: