Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Kicking off ski season

This past weekend kicked off our fifth (FIFTH!) season going to Tahoe.  Tom and I didn't prepare as well as we should have and were rushing around Friday night trying to get everything organized and loaded into the car.  

The kids were excited and the car was loaded up with stuff.  Apparently, not all the stuff though since the duffle bag with all the kids regular clothes (pants, shirts, socks, undies) and most of their ski stuff was left behind.  

 When I realized our error on Saturday morning, I was physically ill.  How could we manage three days without that bag?  There is no Target or Walmart or even a mall in the small mountain town where we stay.  After I calmed down, I took inventory of what I had and what I needed.  Fortunately, one of our ski house sharing families was staying at the house with us and have similar-sized kids.  My friend Aida was in town with her family just for the day and loaned us some clothes too.  We also have a washer and dryer in ski house, so I was able to clean their clothes every night.

On Saturday we went to Squaw Valley ski resort and Tom bee-lined us to the Funitel.  I assumed this was a small gondola ride that would take us to a mid-mountain lodge.  Well, it wasn't small and mid-mountain was a long ride that gained an alarming amount of elevation.  I was a little anxious about the experience, but I breathed through it.  My kids didn't mind the ride.
 At least the Funitel was warm and protected.  Once the kids were outside to ski, they were pelted with sleet.
 They weren't exactly excited about the weather, but they were good sports and headed out with dad anyway.
 Serafina and her buddy Nico (who loaned her the pants she's wearing) were done earlier than the big kids, so we took them back down to the base of the mountain in the Funitel.  It was easier to handle riding it without a crowd.
 Serafina was tired after a late night and some hard skiing.
 She was happy to spend some time with her friend Ana, who generously loaned Serafina some clothes and made the drive home in her pajamas.
 The next day we headed to Alpine.  Leo had some crazy hair.
 Serafina bundled up to face some nasty weather.
 The skiing Mirriones.
 The conditions were bad and several lifts were closed.  Oh and it was wet out.  Very wet.  
 Leo was still smiling.
 I tamed his mane after a shower.
Monday was beautiful weather and the kids had fun skiing.  The traffic on the way home was pretty miserable, but we made it.

No comments: