Our friends bought a house in Tahoe last month and we were invited to spend Memorial Day weekend with them in the new house. When we accepted the invite, it was the end of a long ski season and we weren't sure if we would want to do another trip. We said we would be there and I'm glad we did because it was a great trip and Tahoe in spring time is very different but equally beautiful.
I pulled the kids out of school early on Friday and we got on the road before noon, but we still hit tons of traffic. I also started to develop a severe sore throat.
I woke up Saturday still in pain, but didn't want to throw a wrench in the plans so I toughed it out.
Tom and Bobby went out for one last day of skiing since Squaw Valley still had a couple of lifts open. The kids were headed out to swim.
Down the road from the house was this amazing little pond. It was cold, but beautiful and completely empty. We had the whole place to ourselves!
The kids were too busy swimming, digging and playing to notice that we were in an amazing spot.
They caught a frog and that provided lots of entertainment. The frog was eventually set free but probably will forever suffer from PTSD as a result of that experience.
On Sunday, my throat was killing me but once again, I didn't want to interfere with our plans so we headed out for a hike. We headed to Squaw to do the Shirley Lake hike, which we did in 2014 and 2013. The other kids hadn't really hiked before but they did great.
Oh Tom.
After the hike, we headed to Squaw Village. There was a local artists festival so we walked around a bit. I was in so much pain, I sent Tom and the kids home with the other family and drove myself to the E.R. The doctor determined it wasn't strep throat, but probably a bad virus. There wasn't much they could do for me but I was glad to know it wasn't strep. I'd like to think my throat issue didn't distract from the family fun. It probably would have been a better time if I hadn't been in such bad shape, but there wasn't much I could do about it. It was just crummy luck (or my contact with germy kindergarteners on Thursday). We drove home today and hit some traffic. We got back in time for the kids to take a swim before dinner, which was nice. I'm feeling better but still not great. The next two weeks are crazy busy as we wrap up school, baseball and dance.
No comments:
Post a Comment