Leo has expressed an interest in skateboarding on and off for a while. Last week, I took him to his first skateboarding lesson at a skate shop not too far from our house.
The guys I grew up with taught themselves to skateboard out on the streets - no lessons, no pads, no helmets. But this is a different era and I paid a sweet guy to hit the streets with Leo and show him the ropes. He thrived on the one-on-one attention and enjoyed his first lesson. I gave him his space during the first lesson so all I have is paparazzi type photos like this one of him returning to the shop at the end of the lesson.
We borrowed a board from his friend Max and Leo practiced at home during the week. On Saturday, we returned for another lesson. He spent half the time out on the street and the other half on the ramp in the back of the shop.
He really likes skateboarding and we really like to see him excited about something. He practiced at home.
Yesterday I got him his own board and to say he was thrilled would be a major understatement. He wanted to ride it to the park that afternoon but also wanted me to hold his hand the whole way. How could I say no. He's not going to want to hold my hand while skateboarding, or any other time, for much longer.
Today we took a little trip to a skate park with his friend Max. Max has been skating for a lot longer and is much bolder, but I was proud of my timid guy for being brave, shaking off the falls and trying his best.
This little firecracker is all signed up to play soccer this fall. Practices will start later this month so I decided I should show her some basics. I think she'll do just fine.
No comments:
Post a Comment