This Friday there is a Multicultural Performance at school. Last year, the performances were during the Multicultural Festival, but this year the Festival part (with booths) occurred in the fall.
My friend Mary volunteered to lead the first graders in an "American" dance. This really isn't a one person gig so I told her I'd help her. She picked the song "Surfin' USA" and I choreographed the dance. We practiced at lunchtime for several weeks and today we had our dress rehearsal. The kids are good at the dance moves but they still need direction. Initally, Mary and I thought we would need to dance along with the kids and during the rehearsal we did just that. It wasn't ideal since we are two grown women. But after watching some other dances, we realized they were receiving direction from a mom sitting down in front. We took our group to the side and tried that instead. It worked. The kids got the guidence they needed without the moms making fools of ourselves. Hopefully someone will take a little video on Friday.
Here's Serafina with her friends Gianna, Sunny and Millie.
Doing their "surfing" pose.
And silly faces.
No comments:
Post a Comment