I met my friend Lizzy seven years ago when she moved into the neighborhood and enrolled her middle daughter into Laurelwood preschool. She came to the final preschool board meeting of that school year and because she was willing to pipe up a few times, I pegged her for my replacement as president. I don't know what job she was supposed to do but with some serious downplaying of the role, I got her to agree to take the job. All these years later, she likes to remind me how I bamboozled her into the job. On the upside, I also brought her into the friend group and the rest is history. We've spent holidays together and taken trips to Tahoe. Of course COVID has complicated things and I haven't spent much time with her this past year. There have been Zoom happy hour calls and plenty of texting, but it's not the same. On February 2nd, she sent a text to the group that made my heart sink lower than low. She just got diagnosed with breast cancer. Oof. Unfortunately, I have too many negative experiences with loved ones having cancer. I'm confident this one will be different though. She is young, healthy and has the best medical facilities practically in her backyard. Things have moved quickly for her and she'll have surgery this Tuesday, March 2nd. Tonight our friend group got on Zoom to laugh and chit chat and tell her we love her. And we all wore our Team Lizzy shirts.
Here's my crew posing in ours before the call.
No comments:
Post a Comment