On Tuesday, Leo started practicing with his friend Johnny and Johnny's dad to play in the school talent show. Johnny's dad, Rob, works at the school and plays multiple instruments. He also gives lessons in the small music studio in his house. Johnny plays bass, and Leo befriended him almost immediately at the beginning of the school year, bonding over music. Leo went to Rob and Johnny's place on Wednesday too. On Thursday, their friend Tyler (the gingerbread house eater) joined them to do the vocals on the song. Also on Thursday, a school administrator called me to say I couldn't be at school for the performance. I had emailed her asking if I could slip in to see them play; I even attached my vaccine card to the email. But I knew they weren't letting volunteers on campus for a different event that day, so it was unlikely I could be there. She was so apologetic and promised to send me a video. I was disappointed, but I understood. They have to prioritize safety. Plus, it may have made Leo more nervous to have me there.
Friday he went to school with his guitar and three days of preparation. I got the video Friday afternoon, and I'm not sure there is a word beyond "proud", but that's what I felt. I couldn't believe how brave and awesome he was during that performance. There was a little hiccup, but they got back on track and he rocked it!
Here they are... Johnny on bass, Rob (the dad) on drums, Tyler on vocals and Leo on guitar, playing Can't Stop by the Red Hot Chili Peppers.
This was an incredible experience for Leo. He's only done guitar lessons virtually and hasn't played with other musicians before. He will continue to work with Rob and Johnny in the new year. I'm very excited about this next chapter in Leo's musical journey.
No comments:
Post a Comment