Tuesday, June 7, 2022

8th Grade Trip to the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk

Several weeks ago, the school announced they would be taking the 8th graders on a special day trip to celebrate the completion of middle school. They asked for parent drivers and I signed up.  Then they told us we would be going all the way to the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk and to arrive at school at 8am and not plan on returning until 5pm.  Oh boy!  That is a long day and I definitely had some regret about agreeing to the trip before I knew the details.  

But we showed up at 8am ready for a day of fun.  My kids have never been to the boardwalk and I haven't been since college, so I didn't know what I was getting myself into.  

I was assigned six kids, but one didn't show up.  Here's my group (right to left): Mariko, Drew, Vivian, Hadley and Leo.  

Our special wristbands got us unlimited rides and a BBQ lunch. 
It was still early when we got there and the planned activities hadn't started yet, so we decided to stroll the boardwalk and check it out.  

Of course we had to stop at this photo op.  

Hadley and Leo. 

Leo and Vivian
Drew and Leo. 

I've seen this movie countless time.  Leo watched it recently and found its 80s cheesiness hilarious. 

First up on our day's agenda was a beach cleanup.  When we gathered at the beach, Mariko saw some kids she's better friends with and asked to join their group.  That mom only had three kids so I had no problem handing over Mariko.  She had a much better time with that group, I'm sure.  She seemed slightly miserable with these dorks.  

The kids all got one glove for their trash picking-up hand and I held the trash bag.  They were not thrilled with this assignment.  I had them take a picture before we started.  Apparently in just about every picture Vivian flashed a middle finger and I didn't realize until I looked back at all the pictures last night.  Ah, teenagers.  
They found a crab they needed to return to the ocean. 

We had our own private outdoor party area for lunch.  It was pretty cool.  (Strange pose from Leo and another middle finger from Vivian)

It's been over two years since I've been a field trip chaperone.  I didn't miss it, but I also really enjoyed my group.  Plus, I looked very official in my lake hat.  (Oh Vivian)

As we wrapped up lunch, Gavin asked to join our group.  His mom was also a chaperone, but for some reason she was assigned a bunch of kids that Gavin doesn't really know.  Gavin, Hadley and Drew all went to elementary school together.  Gavin is sweet and easy, so I was happy to add him to my dork squad.  Here's a photo op after bumper cars with Mr. Matlock and Ms. Steele.  

A silly one. 

The Giant Dipper is a historic wooden roller coaster built in 1924.  I felt like I should experience it. Wow, what a mistake!  I screamed so much my throat hurt the whole rest of the day and night.   It was my only ride of the day and it was more than enough. 

Gavin smartly sat that one out, so here's the rest of my chuckleheads ready to board.  


Vivian ran into her "boyfriend" as we were exiting the Giant Dipper.  He was in line and she asked if she could ride again with him.  The other chaperone was willing to take her so off she went and we moved on to the log ride.  

Gavin decided to join this one and they all came out soaking wet.  It was a hot, beautiful day at the beach (kind of rare in Santa Cruz in June) so they dried out fast. 
This was a very fancy garbage can named Leo so of course I needed a photo. 
Dole Whip cheers!  (Not as good as Disneyland Dole Whip, but it was refreshing and practically medically necessary because how much my throat still hurt from the roller coaster screaming.)

They rode more rides and played some games.  They were entirely terrible at the games, but somehow Leo won this ugly orange creature.  The other kids were excited for him.  Except for Vivian who was in a bad mood for the rest of the day because her boyfriend wasn't all that interested in hanging out with her and she ended up back in our group to listen to her headphones and pout.  At least she didn't flip off the camera in this picture! 

 We wrapped up the day at 3:45.  I returned Gavin to his mother and took back Mariko for the ride home.  We were all sticky and drained of energy.  It was way more fun than I was expecting.  Drew is one of the most delightful kids I've ever met.  They were all so easy and happy.  Plus the weather was gorgeous.  It all worked out.  I knew I would be tired when I got home, but I was beyond exhausted.  I'm still tired today!  But at least my throat finally feels better.  Ha! 

No comments: