Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Piggy baby

Our little girl is packing it on. She had her two week check up today and she's up to 8 pounds 12 ounces. Based on how much she nurses, it's not a big surprise. It's nice to have a healthy baby and not be stressed about breastfeeding, jaundice, lack of weight gain, etc. She did make me a little worried because her sacral dimple was deep and the doctor wanted to be sure it was closed and normal, so she had to have an ultrasound yesterday. The results came back normal and we don't ever have to think about it again, but it was pretty miserable to be in the darkened exam room with our tiny baby being scanned. It reminded me of Leo's ultrasound when he was diagnosed with his hernia. It's a very vulnerable feeling to see your kids like that.

Though Fina got a clean bill of health, that doesn't mean she's out of danger. Leo clocked her in the head with a toy today. Twice. I handled it best I could and Tom helped out with conveying the seriousness of the situation. It is the first time I've ever felt angry at Leo. I've been frustrated with him and at my wits end. But I was angry he hurt his sister and made her cry. Hopefully it was just an experimental thing. Later in the day he told me that "baby bump cry no" and then stroked Fina's hair while saying gentle, so I think he has it figured out.

Speaking of figuring things out, Leo is only wearing a diaper for nap and bed. He's consistently pooping on the potty (a very big deal), he's been to the park a few times diaper-free and he even peed in the "big potty". Exciting stuff.

On Monday, my friend April had a little photo shoot with our girl (and her brother and parents). Here's one of her supermodel shots.

Tom's leave is rapidly coming to an end and I'm definitely anxious about being on my own with the two kids. I hope I can handle it. Or at least just survive it.

No comments: