Thursday, March 10, 2011

Fire House Field trip

Leo developed a bad cough yesterday and didn't get much of a nap because of the coughing. Last night was really rough too. I had to pretend it wasn't happening. This morning, I ran around the house getting us both ready to head out for his school's field trip and leave things set up for the sitter to be with Serafina. I would yell from whatever room I was in for him to drink some water as he hacked and hacked on the couch. I should have kept him home or maybe taken him straight to the doctor, but the train had already left the station. I was scheduled to work the field trip, the sitter was coming and I had to take this coughing kid to the fire house. He wasn't just coughing a little; he was constantly coughing and couldn't even eat a decent breakfast because of it. I made a doctor's appointment for the late afternoon before leaving the house.

The field trip was fun. The kids did a great job paying attention and being polite. Leo did a good job covering his mouth with a few reminders from mom.

Here he is having his turn in the fire engine. All the kids got to walk through it, but Leo took a seat inside. Maybe he was hoping they'd get an emergency call and he could ride along.
Getting some help out.
Waiting their turns to try out the fire hose.
This little boy is named Prakhar. I can never understand a word he says and he's not very good at sharing, but check out the look on his face. Could he be more thrilled about spraying that hose?
Leo's turn.
Fireman Jim put on all the gear to show the kids he wasn't scary and they shouldn't hide from him in a fire. Not sure any of his training prepared him from this kid swarm, but maybe that outfit will keep him from catching their cooties, especially from my kid.

The class posed for a picture.
We headed over to an adjacent park after for a little play time and snack.

About 40 minutes before the field trip was suppose to end, Leo sat on one of the playground's rocking animals and just laid his head down. I was talking to his teacher at the time and she said, "why don't you go ahead and take him home." It was seriously one of the most pathetic things I've ever witnessed. She assured me that the remaining parents and her could handle the small amount of kids there and I apologized for even bringing him in the first place. She's a mother of five, so she's seen it all.

He had almost no nap and then we headed to the pediatrician's office. I like her and all, but I don't want to have to see her twice in one week. Serafina decided to get upset right when the doctor came in for her exam, but Leo was fine to sit up on the big table by himself. He answered all the doctor's questions and followed her directions for breathing deep. Turns out he had a fever and (drum roll) a double ear infection. Yep, four out of the eight ears in this family are infected. She took a look at Serafina's ears too and they haven't responded to the antibiotic, so she gave them both a different type of medication. I hope we have some improvement soon. Already they seem to be sleeping better than the last couple nights.

No comments: