Saturday, October 10, 2015

Nutcracker costume fitting

It's been a dance day.  I attended a parent meeting for the Nutcracker production which focused mostly on promoting ticket sales.  It was one of those meetings that people think they need to have but really everything could have been communicated in an email.  Anyway, I need to sell some tickets and I need to help with the production.  Volunteering isn't new to me so it should be just fine.    
A little later in the day, it was rehearsal time for Serafina.  During the parent meeting, some of the veteran moms mentioned that kids sometimes cry at rehearsal or later at home.  They said the kids feel the pressure and the dance director is a bit "old-school" and tends to be firm with the kids.  Sure enough, I heard crying mid-rehearsal and it was my kid.  She told me later that she thought she was doing really good but the director was correcting her.  When I peeked in the window, the director had her arms around Serafina and got her back to dancing.  I think the other moms may have been surprised I didn't go rushing to Serafina's aid, but I knew she would pull it together.  She's a tough girl who knows how to get the job done.  

After her rehearsal, she was fitted for her costume.  

 The kids just borrow them for performances.  She looked so cute.  While she was getting fitted, we found out that she had been cast in two more roles.  Even though she didn't want to, she had to go back into the studio and learn another dance.
She was so tired tonight but she said her second dance was really fun.  She'll be one of the mice that dance with the toy soldiers.  The third role is as an angel.  All the little girls are angels who are mostly just stage dressing.


No comments: