Yesterday was my birthday. Birthdays are a little tough for me because I share a birthday with my dad and I miss him extra on this day. Also, I don't love getting older. But this time, I felt like I should probably celebrate. Since the dance studio didn't hold a recital this year, I actually had the night free. Next year, I'll be spending my birthday backstage and in the audience of the dance recital. And since all my local close friends (and half of their kids) are vaccinated, I felt it might be safe to have everyone over. It's been a long time since I've hosted anything and I was feeling a little nervous, but I decided to push past my hesitation and invite folks over for some drinks and dessert. I definitely wasn't ready to host a meal.
Tom picked up the most beautiful cake for me.
Three families came over to celebrate with me. After temperatures in the high 90s all day, it was absolutely perfect out in the evening. People played darts and ping pong and all the other outdoor games we have in our new backyard. Tom opened up our umbrella and showed off the lights. Everyone came inside to sing "happy birthday" to me. I was so overwhelmed and touched when I saw everyone gathered to show me love. It's been a long time since I've had this many people around me that I care about. I took pictures of them and then they scolded me that I should be in the pictures since I was the birthday girl.
So Tom took some pictures.
And then they insisted I open my presents. I think Kristi just wanted to see my reaction to this epic gift. I will never admit to being a dance mom, even though my friends say I'm absolutely a dance mom. Well, I guess I have to just accept it. This shirt will help me embrace it.
I think Leo's recital gave him new confidence, because he brought out his guitar and played for all the kids. The adults were pretty impressed too.
It was a wonderful night. Everyone had a good time and it was so great to be together again after such a long time. Mousse was mostly well behaved and got lots of attention and playtime. Our new backyard proved to be a pretty great entertaining space, so hopefully we can host people again soon.
No comments:
Post a Comment