This summer, my very good friend's daughter, Sidney, was diagnosed with severe scoliosis that needed surgical correction. They consulted with Stanford and UCSF and after meeting both surgeons, they scheduled the procedure for November 29th. This date loomed over their heads for months. I felt for them and all the anxiety they were experiencing. Both my kids went through pretty dinky little surgeries in comparison, but they were big in our world. I will never forget the stress that comes with having your kid go under the knife and my friend and her daughter had that 100 times over.
On Thursday (the 29th), they checked in at UCSF. The surgery was eight hours long and extensive, but she did well. I went up the next day to bring lunch, snacks, flowers, Kleenex and my best wishes. I didn't know what to expect. I didn't realize how nervous I was about seeing her until I was walking in from the parking structure. I had spent surgery day with my stomach in knots and I was worried she would be in bad shape when I saw her. But when I got to the room, she looked great. She was alert and strong and I was really proud of her.
Yesterday she was up and walking in her custom brace. It's pretty amazing and she's quite the warrior.
I made muffins in the morning for the girls and sent the extras with Sunny and her grandma to the hospital for Sidney and her folks. Her mom sent me a picture of Sidney eating one and let me know it's the most she's eaten since surgery. It made me ridiculously happy to see that.
No comments:
Post a Comment