Leo had his three year check-up with the pediatrician. He did really well during the most of the appointment. He was cooperative and answered the doctor's questions clearly. He didn't do too well on the vision test because he didn't really understand what he was suppose to do, but they gave me a handout so we can work on what's expected of him. Apparently, they use to start testing at four years old, but the new recommendation is three though most three year olds aren't able to "do" the test. I was worried he was going to be underweight because he's a bit of a skinny minny (or maybe he just hangs out with a bunch of fatties and it makes him look thin), but he's totally fine. He weighs 31.5 pounds and is in the 50 percentile. He's 37.25 inches tall, which is also is the 50 percentile. Everything went to hell when he had to get two vaccines. People being attacked by sharks scream less and less piercingly than Leo did. Not only was he in pain, I think he was feeling betrayed. It had been a perfectly pleasant experience up until then. Unfortunately, Serafina needed to get a flu shot too. Leo was still screaming bloody murder and continued to do so while Serafina got injected, cried and then recovered. He was still a big mess while we drove home. He stopped crying/screaming but he still talked about his "hurts" and "pokes" throughout the rest of the day.
Here he is when I went it to get him up from his nap. He found a big monkey in his bed and decided to use it as a pillow.

My mom bought me that monkey from a hospital gift shop while I was having surgery. It made me feel better back then and I think he felt better too.

Of course I had questions for the doctor about Serafina. She seems kinda depressed and so frustrated. The doctor said, "I'm sure she is. She was a very active little girl who's really limited now. " She encouraged me to give her all the attention she needs. It's a bit exhausting but that's what I've been doing and will continue to do. She is needy right now and her separation anxiety has increased.
My mom sent Serafina her own comfort creature in her time of need. He arrived in this box.

With an "air hole".

She opens it.

And finds a teddy bear with a cast on his leg.

She's trying to increase her mobility, mostly to increase her access to her brother's stuff. She pulls up to a standing, like in this picture. This allows her to rifle through Leo's Play-Doh box. She's also trying to balance on her foot/cast combo and tonight made a few little steps while holding on to furniture.

It's strange to be re-experiencing her milestones. It makes my heart hurt a little. I try to remind myself this is a very brief time in her life and she won't remember it at all. I, on the other hand, will never forget it or how it feels.
No comments:
Post a Comment