Sunday, October 17, 2010

Uesugi Farms

We had our first really "fall" day - cold, gray and raining. Of course it was the same day we planned to drive about 45 minutes to a pumpkin farm for a family outing. Even though the drizzle turned to downpour a few times, we braved it and are glad we did because it was a great time. I'm especially glad we got a chance to go since I missed my moms' group visit to a different pumpkin farm since Serafina's cast was still very fresh.

Uesugi Farms is much more than a pumpkin patch and in fact, because of the crappy weather we didn't get a chance to explore the patch or the pumpkin pyramid or even buy a pumpkin. We focused on the other attractions.

Serafina was all set to go with her cast protected in the sleeve of my rain coat. Of course, that meant I didn't have a rain coat.
The first attraction was a tractor ride through the corn fields. Leo didn't actually drive the tractor but was allowed to get behind the wheel for a picture. Definitely the highlight of his day, possibly his whole life.
Ready to be pulled by the tractor.

Very excited to ride the train.
Checking out the second place pumpkin.
First place. That could make a lot of pie.
The "cow train" (little cow-painted barrels on wheels pulled by a tractor) is intended for kids only, but kids under 42" need to ride with an adult. Can you tell how thrilled I am to be crammed into that thing? I wasn't sure if I'd be able to wedge myself out.

An unofficial measurement.
Royalty.
Loving the carousel.
Waiting to get on the Enchanted Hayride.
The marigold fields as seen from the Enchanted Hayride. Did you know that marigolds have to be planted by hand? The are also weeded by hand.
Gotta have one of these pictures.
Serafina was a entranced by the mariachi band performing in the food tent.
After lunch, the rain really started coming down. Leo and Tom braved two little corn mazes, but we headed out after that. I think this will become a family tradition so next time we'll see the patch close up.

Here's a bonus shot of Leo and Serafina playing "medicine" (with an empty syringe).

No comments: