It started as a typical Friday. I went to an early yoga class and when I got home, I hurried the kids to get ready and packed Leo's lunch. I didn't have a chance to change out of my yoga clothes, so I just put my rain jacket over it. After drop off, Serafina and I ran to the farmers market down the street from Leo's school to pick up some apples. We were home before 9:30, so I poured myself a bowl of cereal and planned to shower after I ate. Serafina had a different plan. When I came in the room with my cereal, she announced "I put a bead up my nose!", with a gleeful pride. Her brother did the same thing around her age. He had the exact same tone to his voice, like he just ran a 5 minute mile or solved the quadratic equation. In Leo's case, I was able to coax it out by stroking the outside of his nostril. Serafina was much more thorough with her bead placement and it was shoved pretty far up there. I got the tweezers, but I realized quickly, I needed to leave the extraction to a professional. Plus, it would take a couple people to keep her still. She was pretty upset, so I gave up on my cereal and shower and headed to urgent care. She stopped crying in the car and said it didn't hurt. I think my attempts to push it out and hold her are what made her cry.
During check in....
"Yep, I shoved a bead up there."
There was a bit of a wait at urgent care. No big surprise since it's flu season and the middle of a school day, which apparently is prime time for pre-teen boys to hurt themselves during recess and P.E. A lot of slings and ice packs in the waiting room. I fully expect that to be Leo before too long.
She was all smiles before the doctor came in. I told her she owed me $20 for the co-pay. The removal was very traumatic. I held her in a big bear hug, the nurse pinned her head down and then doctor went fishing for the bead with special tool (long, thin, small curved hook at the end). It didn't take long, but it was a miserable minute or so. The doctor told Serafina not to put things in her nose. She also asked if we wanted to keep the bead. Um, no.
When I brought her home, she told me "I'm never putting a bead in my nose ever again." Good. She learned an important life lesson and I finally got my shower.
It never ceases to amaze me how much these kids keep me on my toes. Too bad there isn't a frequent-user card for the urgent care. I would have plenty of stamps on it and our next visit would probably be free.
No comments:
Post a Comment