When my yoga studio announced a 108 Sun Salutation Challenge, I immediately knew I wanted to do it. I don't run marathons or even 5Ks. I don't want to crawl through mud with my friends or swim across...well, anything. But yoga in a park, I can handle that. Of course, it was two hours straight of vigorous yoga (no laying around and just stretching). Doing a Sun Salutation is like a complicated push up. It's a lot of arm and ab strength. The instructors (we had four taking turns leading) included a number of other poses too. Doing 108 Sun Salutations was daunting.
It was cool and overcast at the park this morning. We were at Ortega park, which is one of my kids' favorites. I went over there for the 8:30 start time and Tom brought the kids over about 10am. We were getting close to the end by then.
A lot of time was spent like this (Downward Facing Dog). My shoulders are sore.
Warrior two.
Reverse warrior.
There was a pretty good turn out.
We practiced on a patch of tan bark, which was probably chosen since the grass was wet, but wasn't a great surface to do yoga on. I ended up creating a pretty serious divot where my feet were which made things challenging.
Here's most of the group that did it. Some people didn't make it through the whole thing, and some people left immediately and didn't stick around for the picture. I heard two girls talking about how they wanted to go immediately to their favorite ramen restaurant.
The kids thought it was pretty neat to see mom do yoga and it was great to see them watch me. It gave me the extra boost to get through to the end.
Here's one of my teachers, Joan. She's a favorite. The first class I took at the yoga studio was with her and it reminded me why I love yoga. She really liked meeting my kids.
No comments:
Post a Comment