Monday, August 27, 2012

First day of Junior Kindergarten

It's finally here! The first day of school.  Last night Leo practiced zipping and fastening his uniform pants and then we picked out which shirt and bottoms he would wear.

Look how grown up he is.



New backpack with bigger capacity (and no skulls like his old backpack, which are frowned upon at the parochial school)
Ready to tackle the day!
Good bye hug for sister.
Arriving at school.  There were balloons up and the energy was palpable.
The kids start the day by hanging up their backpacks outside the classroom and then heading to the playground until the bell rings.  He wasn't too interested in playing at first and just wanted to stick close to me, but then Ella arrived.  Ella was in his preschool class last year.  She's a little peanut, about a week older than Leo and very sweet.  She got him out on the playground.

Once the bell rings, the kids line up in front of their classrooms.
It was warming up, so I took his jacket off and the teacher gave him his name tag.
Once the name tag was on, he was shoo-ing me off and told me to go ahead a leave.  He gave me a hug and kiss goodbye first.
He wasn't very forthcoming with the details of his day.  He was line leader today, which he seemed thrilled about.  The teacher sent out an email at the end of the day and wrote "Leo was a terrific line leader and was a great example to the other children".  Go Leo!  He is one of three kids in his class that go home at noon, while the rest of his class stays through lunch until 3pm.  He asked why he wasn't staying for lunch but I told him he could eventually.  They do have snack time while he's there and I packed him a lot of little things to eat - mini muffin, crackers, grapes and string cheese.  Other kids just had one little baggie of crackers/cheerios/whatever, not a lunchbox full of stuff.  The teacher suggested he just have a small item.  Umm...that won't work for my kid.  He brought home an empty lunch box.  Leo and Serafina both eat a ton throughout the day and usually don't go for more than an hour or so without needing something to nosh.  I think I'll keep packing him a substantial snack.

They also pray a couple times a day.  Leo doesn't have too much exposure to prayer and when I asked him what he thought about it, he said, "it's kinda boring."  Oh wait until Wednesday, kid, and you have to go to morning chapel.  His behavior was better the rest of the day, less meltdowns.  I had him take a nap and he didn't fight it.  School takes a lot out of a little guy.  He's looking forward to going back tomorrow and I'm happy to see him enjoying it.  I'm definitely breathing a sigh of relief.

No comments: