Saturday, April 5, 2014

Baseball boy and a hike

Leo's game wasn't canceled so we were on the field at 8:30 for warm ups.  He told the coach he wanted to catch, so the coach wanted him to bat first so he had time to get into the gear.  He asked Leo if he was okay with that because some kids get nervous being the lead off hitter.  Leo said, "I don't mind.  I can bat first, second, whatever you want".  Oh lord, if he wasn't only that agreeable and cooperative for me, my life would be so much easier.  Anyway, I didn't get his first hit on camera, but he made good contact and got on base.  

Then he got suited up to be catcher.  

 He did better in the catcher position than past games.  More alert and moving around better.
 Second time up to bat he also got on base with a solid hit.
 Here's his cheering section keeping warm in the morning chill.
 Ready to run home.

I caught at least one hit on video.  
 During his final turn at bat Tom called me on FaceTime right as he stepped in the batter's box.  I answered the call and turn the camera around so his dad could watch his kid smash it and run to first.  It was pretty cool.

The final inning Leo played 3rd base and he did a great job.  He was showing hustle and trying to make plays.  There was one ground ball to him that he grabbed and tagged the base.  I think he got there before the runner and the kid should have been out, but he was called safe and since there is no keeping score at this level, it didn't matter too much.  I was still proud of him for playing well.
 It didn't go unnoticed by the coach.  At the end of game wrap up, he mentioned how great Leo did as the lead off batter by getting on base every time he was up to bat and that he did well in the field also.
 Then he gave Leo the Spirit Award!
 Picture with Coach Dan.  Leo would normally hold on to the award until next game and then it moves on to the next award winner, but since next week is a bye week and then we'll be in Tahoe we'll bring the award back at the next practice.   It's so much more enjoyable to watch Leo play baseball than soccer.  So. Much. Better.
 Here he is showing the award to Auntie Sheila.  He's so very proud of it.  He was able to show Tom on FaceTime tonight (which was Tom's tomorrow morning).

After lunch, we went to Rancho San Antonio.  We went there with Uncle Mike and Grandma Ruth during their last visit.  


 It looks like a tiny sheep is sniffing Serafina's ear.


Tom is in the southern part of India and won't get a chance to see the Taj Mahal during this visit.  When I went to pick up some Thai food for dinner I noticed there was a Taj Mahal right next door.  Problem solved!

No comments: