Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Nanoblock (AKA the worst toy ever)

This morning went well.  Serafina went to gymnastics camp and Leo had a playdate.  I ran errands and got almost everything on the classroom supply lists.  Then the afternoon was brutal.  I'm not sure what forces were at work, but my kids just took turns crying, whining and being miserable.  It was exhausting.  

When Leo was leaving the playdate, the mom handed him a little pouch and said "Max wanted you to have this."   It turns out it was a nanoblock kit.  Once we got it home, I realize this mom must hate me.  

Take a look at this.  The green block is a normal Lego; the brown ones are nanoblocks.  Also known as my worst nightmare.  

 I was almost immediately frustrated by the small size and the vague instructions.
 Leo wasn't deterred though and pressed on with minimal help.
 He completed the project but things turned south after he was done and pieces wouldn't stay on.  I was so impressed with his perseverance and building skills.  I praised him but he fell into an anger spiral that took him down an ugly path.

"Leo, let me take your picture with the finished product."
 The end result was a tiny, cute kangaroo.  Unfortunately, it's currently sitting on the highest shelf in the kitchen because its little front leg wouldn't stay on straight and that drove Leo bonkers, which drove me bonkers.
Leo did take a time out of his rage to write a thank you note to his friend, which was a nice gesture and completely unprovoked by me.

No comments: