Last spring the school district published its calendar and it showed two days off in October for "staff development". I knew right away I wanted to take advantage of those days to go to Disneyland. Tom was on board even though we weren't feeling very flush with money right after the remodel.
Even though I knew I wanted to do this trip, I didn't get plans in place until September. We would spend a night in L.A. to see my friend Tracy and three nights next door to Disneyland at the Candy Cane Inn. A couple of weeks before our departure Tom began to reconsider his participation. He had a lot going on with work and his enthusiasm about going to Disneyland was lacking. I assured him I could handle it on my own. I wasn't actually sure but I didn't tell him that. I didn't want him to feel guilty if he didn't come and I didn't want him to come and then be stressed because he was missing work. I knew several other families from school that were also going to be at Disneyland and most of my extended family is a short drive away. I decided I could handle it one way or another. And boy am I glad I did. It was an epic trip of making memories and really enjoying my kids.
Saturday morning we woke up, loaded up the car, kissed Tom goodbye and hit the road. We listened to the first Harry Potter book during our drive and got about half way through. We made it to our first stop around 3pm. We checked into a nice hotel in Marina Del Rey that is directly across the street from my best friend Tracy's house.
After the long drive, we went for a walk down to the beach. The kids got a kick out of this shark dude outside a surf shop.
Venice Beach pier.
We went to dinner with Tracy and Maya and the restaurant had little packs of colored clay to play with instead of crayons. The kids really liked it.
The last time we spent time with Tracy and Maya was two years ago. The kids got along great and Maya was eager to show off her Halloween costume.
On Sunday morning, we headed to a playground at the marina.
Tracy and I wanted to take a selfie together but we weren't happy with the results so I introduced her to the wonders of Snapchat filters.
We said our goodbyes and the kids and I headed to our next destination.
No comments:
Post a Comment