Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Baby's First (and hopefully only) Surgery

Leo is sleeping, Tom is putting together some dinner and I am feeling an overwhelming sense of relief. All the anticipation and worry is behind me. The difficult day and the worst of it is over. This moment here, with my baby home and almost back to normal and no more bad stuff on the horizon...this is the best moment.

I won't lie, it was a hard day. With the anaesthesiologist's approval, I was up at 2am to nurse Leo. He had no trouble falling back to sleep; I, on the other hand, did a little tossing and turning. A few hours later we were up and out the door. We arrived right on time and they took all three of us back very quickly. We got a special room with cartoons playing on the TV and stuffed animals on the gurney. We answered questions, asked some questions and kept Leo entertained while the prep took place. He only asked to nurse once and just as I was telling him no, the nurse walked in with the baby Valium and that solved the problem. Leo felt the effects pretty quick and was a mix between groggy and giggly. More or less, drunk. I just held him close and he looked up periodically to make sure it was me. Before I knew it, the nurse came to take him back to the OR. I waited until he was around the corner to burst into tears. I think they get a lot of mom criers because the nurses were sympathetic but unfazed. There was a large screen in the waiting room that reported each patient's status. Almost an exact hour after his procedure began, he was listed as done. The doctor came out and said it went perfectly, he would see us next week and someone would take us back shortly. That part was the longest wait for me. I knew he was back there waking up disoriented from the anaesthesia, crying and without his mama. After about 10 minutes, we were walked back to see our pathetic little boy stretched out in the hospital crib. He was doing fine. The nurse told me he had been sleepy, but she said, "Leo if you open your eyes, I'll let you see your mommy" and his eyes popped open. I don't know if that is true, but I'd like to think so. We were in recovery for about an hour. That part was tough too. He was so groggy and irritated by his IV. He didn't ask to nurse, but when I asked he nodded enthusiastically. Once the prescription was called in and everything was in order we were allowed to go home. What a great feeling. The drive must of helped clear Leo's head since he was alert when we got home. He cuddled on my lap and ate some snacks. Before too long, I put him down for a nap, and Tom and I rested too. Leo woke up cranky, but after a dose of Motrin, a snack (or two) and some truck photos, he was ready to run around. I wasn't quite ready for it, but the doctor said there were no restrictions and Leo would only do what he felt like doing. We played, took a little walk outside and had a very normal evening. Really, just like any other evening (except a little chocolate pudding for dessert because he deserved it).

Thanks for everyone's good thoughts and well wishes. The day went just about as smooth as it could. And like I said, my sense of relief is euphoric.

Here's a little slideshow of today

1 comment:

Jessiedc28 said...

I cried through this whole story.