Sunday, October 20, 2013

Bumpy start to a great weekend

When I picked up Serafina from preschool on Wednesday, she was glassy-eyed and hot. She didn't want to ride her scooter home or even walk. I carried her part of the way since I felt so bad for her. I knew she had a fever without checking but I took her temp and it was 101.

She took it easy the rest of the day and woke up feverish on Thursday. By late morning she seemed better and even had a normal temperature before leaving to pick up her brother from school.

 But when we got home, she was burning hot and moaning. She was also listless so I checked her temperature and this is what I got...
Don't worry.  I didn't stop to take a picture before dealing with my feverish kid.  The thermometer displays the last temp taken when you turn it back on so I took this later that night.  Right after I got this reading, I put a cool cloth on her and called the doctor.  They manage to get me in right away.  She was given some medicine and an exam.  She was so pathetic; it broke my heart.  I don't remember the last time I saw one of my kids so sick.  Leo was dragged along for it all and was being a very good sport.  

They sent us home with no real answer but instructions to keep medicating and bring her back if something changed.  Turns out she didn't need any more medication.  Her fever never returned so that was the last (dramatic) hurrah.  

Here's the thing.  We made camping reservations for this weekend months ago after our last camping trip.  Since the summer trip wasn't all we wanted it to be, we decided to try again with reservations at a very nice spot.  I wasn't sure about bringing a sick kid; Tom was pretty sure that she wasn't a sick kid anymore.  It was hard to argue with him when she had been fever-free for almost 24 hours and was bouncing around like normal.  So we went ahead and went, but not before Leo got to participate in Fire Truck day at school.  He toured the fire trucks before I picked him up at 11:30. 
Then we headed down to Big Sur.

They were so happy to be there.  I was sure we made the right decision. 

We told Leo the camping trip was to celebrate his birthday instead of having a party.  As dirty and exhausting camping is, it is still easier than throwing a party for a six-year-old.
I made some pumpkin cupcakes with cream cheese frosting and brought along a number "6" candle.  It was perfect.  Look at that smile.

I'll organize the pictures tomorrow and post a link to a photo album.



No comments: