Friday, October 11, 2013

Laurelwood Elementary Walk-a-thon 2013

This morning I worked in the preschool classroom.  The four-year-olds are all well behaved and I don't mind being there.  Don't get me wrong it's still exhausting, but the class has a lot of girls and they are very sweet natured, so it makes things better.

Serafina and I went home for a quick lunch break after school and then we were back again.  We went to Mrs. Robinson room as they prepared to head to the Walk-a-thon.  The Walk-a-thon and silent auction that run concurrently are the big fundraisers the PTA holds during the year.  In fact, they bring in so much money that there is no other fundraisers.  No selling candy or wrapping paper. 

Each kid that has a signed wavier to walk receives an official walk-a-thon t-shirt.  The kids were all set in their shirts when I got there.  

 Then we meet up with the class's third-grade buddies to start the walk-a-thon.  Leo's buddy, Zach, found him right away.
 Third graders and kindergartens together for a picture.
 Serafina was upset that she couldn't be in the picture, so they let her in for one but she still was crying. Way to spoil the party, Serafina.
 Waiting to do the first lap.



 Zach's mom is my friend and the former preschool president.  She's as happy and nice as Zach.
 All the kids took their first lap together and then went back to their rooms for dismissal.  Then they could walk as much or as little as they wanted.



 Once we got his backpack and returned to the walk-a-thon, Leo didn't want to walk.  I coaxed him to walk a lap or two with a friend and he walked a couple with me, but since Serafina didn't want to walk, I couldn't do too many laps with him.  I had set up a "home base" with some friends so the kids knew where to find me.  There were over 600 kids in matching shirts wandering around; it was overwhelming to say the least.
 But then Leo discovered he would earn a popsicle if he walked eight laps.  That was good motivation.

 Then he found his friend Tommer to walk with.
 That made him happy and got him walking more too.
 He ended up doing 25 laps.  I couldn't believe it!  I'm so proud of him.

Tom got away from work early and joined us, so I could help at the bake sale.  In the picture below are the brownie pops I made.  I also made regular brownies with a pretzel bottom and caramel swirl, and some cupcakes with fancy sprinkles.  Those were all gone by the time my shift at the bake sale started.  
Tom took the kids home and I stayed to help at the sale, lock up the preschool and make sure I won my silent auction items.  I wanted to win a special afternoon playdate/craft project with Leo's teacher and I did!  Overall, it was an exhausting day but a great fundraiser and community builder.

No comments: