Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Pumpkin Farm Field Trip

Today, Serafina's preschool class had its pumpkin patch field trip. Every year they go to the pumpkin patch, but the teachers prefer a farm instead of the pumpkin "lots" with bouncy houses. When Full Circle Farm (where we get our weekly veggies) opened, the classes were able to walk there, see the chickens, tour the farm and have a down-home pumpkin picking experience. Last year, Full Circle brought in an outside company to run their pumpkin patch complete with, you guessed it, bouncy houses. This year they decided to take the bus to a new place called Spina Farm. The teacher wanted lots of parent helpers, so I signed up to go but not on the bus. I was planning on driving with my friend Aida so we could chat and also leave if we needed to get back to the school for our older kids.  But when lining up to get on the bus, one of the parents who was assigned to ride the bus wasn't aware this was her role and had her younger child with her.  Big no-no!  So I was asked to take her place and I ended up on the bus for the second field trip in a row.

It gave me the chance to take some pictures on the bus.  Unfortunately, it was freezing on the bus and the ride was longer than any other bus trips since we were going past civilization to actually farmlands where they actually grow pumpkins (and corn).
First activity was an educational talk about pumpkins.
Here is a wheelbarrow full of interesting pumpkins for the talk.
Next was the hay ride.  I don't really like hay (it makes me itch), so I let some other parents go on this one.
Off they go.
Each kid got to pick a little pumpkin.
Playing in the big pumpkin.
Running around the hay maze.
I couldn't get out of the train ride.
Posing with Sophia and Kate.
Class picture in the big chair.
We had some extra time to explore all the pumpkins.

And the tractor.







It was a super fun field trip in a very beautiful setting.  The bus ride home wasn't as cold, but Serafina was tired and cried over not getting a window seat.  I am hoping to skip the next field trip though.

No comments: