Well, now I'm in the thick of it and it's swallowing me whole. In less than two weeks, I'm running the annual garage sale - the biggest fundraiser of the year. It is typically held in the spring, but after a miserable rainstorm dumped all over last year's sale, we decided to move it to the fall. We typically have better weather. We better have better weather because this year our indoor sale space (a church gym) is unavailable so we'll be out of luck if it rains. I'm accepting all donations at my house starting Wednesday, but I already have a big pile of last year's left over clothes, donations from friends and my own stuff. I'm very dependent on parent volunteers, but there is a still a good chunk of the community that hasn't signed up. Concurrent to the garage sale madness, I'm running an online sale of ChicoBags (sturdy, reusable shopping bags). You may have noticed the link in the sidebar, but probably not. That sale is chugging along slowly. When I was made VP, I made the bold decision to cut out all selling fundraisers (in the past, we've sold cookie dough, See's candy, wrapping paper) except ChicoBags. I like ChicoBags and actually use them all the time.
Before I agreed to do any of this my mom warned me not to do it. She was probably right; I should have continued to politely decline, at least I feel like that right now. But she didn't turn down requests to volunteer. She helped my schools and sports teams. Heck, she adopts the most neurotic dogs on earth. That generosity of spirit and that willingness to work to benefit the group has been passed down to me. I couldn't say no. I needed to do it because I love this preschool and it has been a great place for both my kids.
Anyway, since I'm giving over my time and energy to others anyway, I might as well volunteer to help at soccer too. This past Saturday, I volunteered to be a "leader". I ushered around a group of five kids from drill to water break to the next drill. Leo wasn't in my group; he did great in a different group. My group was very sweet and I'm glad I did it. Here they are waiting to start a pretty silly drill where they tried to pull the bibs out of each other's pants. Not sure what soccer skill that develops.
That afternoon we attended our neighbors' birthday party. The twins - Enrico and Sophie - turned seven. Both my kids were in tears multiple times during the party and at one point they were both wailing over popped balloons. It was sad and awesome.
Since I feel like I can barely breath right now, I asked my husband to take me on a date. A very dorky date. There is a movie theater near-by that shows old movies and holds quote-a-longs (or sing-a-longs, if it's a musical). Tom and I went to The Big Lebowski. I love that movie and I loved The Retro Dome where the film was shown. It is very retro and very cool. I'm going to definitely go back there again.
Wait, where are the pictures of my kids? Here they are. Leo and Tom braved some chilly water to get one final swim in this season. Right after Leo jumped in he had a moment where he didn't remember how to swim (it's been close to a month since he's been in). He figured it out pretty quickly but he expressed his displeasure with the situation.
Here's the little girl running around like a loon.
One more of Leo.
No comments:
Post a Comment