Here he is on Sunday night.
Yep. He's in the ER. And it's not from skiing or even slipping on some icy stairs. It's all because of a bar stool. We were waiting for a table at a restaurant and Leo was passing the time playing a game around a bar table with some big kids. He slipped off the bar stool and slammed his face on the table on the way down. He tried to hold it together for a minute since the big kids were watching, but his dad scooped him up and he burst into tears. Tom passed him to me and I sat him down to examine the damage. He had bit his tongue...bad. There was a lot of blood and the cut was big and deep. It flapped around in an unsettling manner. I wanted to take him to the ER and Tom agreed he should be seen. We both kinda knew there wasn't going to be much that the doctor could do, but we wanted to make sure. Thankfully, it was the easiest, quickest ER visit I've ever experienced. The doctor confirmed our suspicion that Leo didn't need stitches. It would have required sedation and the doctor said that tongues heal fast and it wouldn't be worth the hassle. He recommended Leo eat soft or cold food. Since we didn't eat at the restaurant, the kids ended up having popsicles and pancakes for dinner.
He was feeling better this morning, but we still took it easy with the food. He was so brave about the whole thing; I was very proud of him. Okay, on to some pictures from the rest of the weekend, which was much more typical.
On Saturday, we went to Sugar Bowl, which is Leo's favorite place to ski. Here he his giving his sister a hug before heading out to ski.
Tom had to get Leo a lift ticket, so I took him outside to wait. He was very pumped to get going.
Serafina and I played inside for a while. I made myself an infinite scarf and Serafina thought it was very fun.
We headed outside for a little walk and snow eating. Eating snow is as important to her as skiing is to Leo.
There was a game of Twister during halftime.
After that, we bundled up and headed out for a snowy walk. Apparently, Tom had other ideas in mind. Not everyone was enjoying the snowball fight though.
He made Serafina cry too. So we got him back. A face full of snow was a good punishment and the kids were satisfied with that retribution. I made them all call a truce.
See, they recover quickly.
Leo was proud of this snow angel.
That night is when the tongue incident happened, but since Leo was feeling good this morning, we went to the snow park.
He was excited about all the fun he was about to have.
First up was a tube ride.
The boys had fun, so I took Serafina. She was crying and objecting when I stuck her in the tube. I'm sure everyone standing in line thought I was so cruel for forcing her to get in that tube, but I told her that she was going to like it and when we got to the bottom, she said "that was really fun." See, mom knows.
The sledding was our favorite part. We didn't have to wait in line and we just went over and over and over.
Yep. We sent our kid flying down that hill with his injured tongue.
Here's evidence that mom was in on the fun.
The climb back up wasn't as fun.
We all did one final tube ride. I went down with Leo and Tom took Serafina.
There was a lot of traffic on the drive home and we arrived pretty worn out, but it was a fun weekend with just a little detour into nerve-wreaking on Sunday night with the badly bitten tongue. But, as we learn over and over in life, a popsicle solves almost every problem.






No comments:
Post a Comment