This is my 1000th post.
Over the past five years, I’ve logged on to my computer and posted
pictures, videos and text 1000 times.
That’s kind of amazing to me. Of
course there have been days where I did multiple posts in one sitting to
document a trip or separate events. But
for the most part, I’ve blogged an incredible amount of times about important
moments, exciting adventures and mundane events.
As I look
back over the blog, I see the tone has changed.
In the early days when Leo was a newborn, I glossed over the
hardship. I was absolutely freaking
miserable in the beginning, struggling with nursing, fighting with Tom, feeling
depressed, but very little of that is reflected on the blog. I’d like to think I’ve become more honest;
I’m more willing to discuss just how crappy motherhood is.
I think my
candid approach comes from the fact that I don’t really think anyone reads this
blog. When I’m writing to no one but
myself, there is no reason to gloss over the dismal truths. I want to remember how bad it can be so I can
appreciate it when it’s good. Plenty of
people give up on blogging or ignore a blog for long stretches. I never have.
That’s because the one reader I do know I have is my mom and if any mom
is good at any thing, it’s nagging and she will gently nag me to post. I know she wishes she could see her grandkids
everyday (or close to it), so the blog is the next best thing.
As cliché
as it sounds, motherhood has been a journey for me. I went from being pretty clueless and borderline
delusional (“a baby won’t keep us from going out and enjoying our lives”) to
being a bit of a Pollyanna about the whole thing (“I just love being a mom”) to
being the sarcastic, cynical parent I’ve always been deep down inside. Because, honestly, parenthood is 80% dealing
with bodily fluids, 15% pure misery and 5% pure joy, so if you don’t have a
sense of humor about it, you won’t survive.
I don’t see
myself ending this blog any time soon.
As long as there are holidays and vacations and field trips and
tantrums, I should have enough to photograph.
I might not always have clever things to say but I’ll still include text
(though Tom tells me no one reads the text).
I haven’t made baby books for the kids so this blog is the chronicle of
their “firsts” and the memories and milestones we want to remember (and some we’d
rather forget).
Thank you
for reading.
No comments:
Post a Comment