Tuesday, November 6, 2012

"I Voted"

When I picked up Serafina from school, she had this lovely turkey. She said "bock, bock". I said, "um, that's what the chicken says; the turkey says gobble gobble."

When I picked up Leo from school, he had this "I Voted" sticker.  I asked who he voted for and he said, "the one who wants to be the guy."  I wasn't quite sure what he meant.  

We discussed it more throughout the day and I understood that he "voted" for Mitt Romney.  He asked who I voted for and I explained I voted for Obama and why.  I asked why he voted for Mitt Romney and he said, "well, he hasn't had a turn yet and I thought he should have a chance to do it."  Aww...  I love his dedication to fairness and turn taking.  I'm also very relieved that five-year-olds can't vote.  

I filled out my absentee ballot over the weekend but took it to the local polling place (Raynor Park) to turn it in.  It was a hot day and by the late afternoon it was very pleasant out so we took our bikes to the farm to get our veggies and then went to the park.  On the way and at the park, we saw neighbors, preschool friends and even Serafina's (Leo's former) teacher.  It gave us a great sense of our community.  Leo was so amazed to see Mrs. Hessler out in the world he almost rode his bike into a parked car.  

Here they are outside the park building where we dropped off my ballot wearing their "I Voted" stickers.  
Leo went to bed before Romney conceded the race, but I'll break the news to him in the morning.

No comments: