Saturday, October 18, 2014

Apple picking

It's hard to feel like it's fall around here when the temperature is in the 80s most days.  There are plenty of farms and pumpkin patches, but for our outing today I wanted something different.  I've been wanted to go to an orchard to pick apples.  Unfortunately, the drought in California has caused many of the "U-Pick" apple farms to end their seasons early or not offer apples at all.  Luckily, I found one that had apples available that wasn't too far away.  So we drove down to Watsonville and visited Clearview Orchard.  It was small and quaint and didn't have any of the trappings that a lot of the places offer.  No train rides or ponies or souvenirs.  Just rows of apple trees and a little farm stand.  There were pumpkins and picnic tables too.  
They also had Jethro.  He's over 100 years old.  At least that's what they told us.  He doesn't look a day over 89 to me.  
 Ready to pick some apples.

 Daddy in the orchard.



 Apple king.


 Yucky apple.


 Snail food.

 Worms.






 Lovely orchard behind my handsome husband.
 Swinging.  Yee-haw.



 Reading.

 Apple snacking.







The orchard was pretty close to the coast so we headed to the beach after.

On the trail down to the beach.
 Cool old bridge.



 Kids and momma.


 Digging.





 Daddy found an ocean treasure.

 It makes a jaunty scarf.
 Giving it back to the ocean.

We came home with seven (!) pounds of delicious Fuji apples, so Tom got to work making a pie.  

Rolling out the crust.
 The end result.

The filling and crumble top were wonderful.  The crust...not so much.  Crust is really hard to make.  I always cheat and buy pre-made, so I admire Tom for trying to make it from scratch.  

No comments: