My friend Katie is moving to Kansas. We had a playdate with them this afternoon and it was the last time the kids will get together until we make some sort of vacation plans that involve Kansas. The kids played, Katie and I gossiped and then we took some pictures of the kids together. Then I drove away and burst into tears. I'm trying not to be too emotional about this. Between texting and Facebook and video chatting, I'll still be in touch with Katie, but it won't be the same.
And these kids are going to grow up and I won't be part of it. I met Katie when our boys were about five months old and I've watched Doug grow up. The night they brought Maia home from the hospital, I came to visit and bring them supplies. And then when Max arrived with little notice, I was there on the first night again with arms full of supplies.
They are having an adults-only going away party on Friday night, so I'll get to see Katie again and I know it will be hard. She's the type of friend when you stab yourself in the hand opening a hot dog package, she'll drive to you the urgent care and spend the whole time chatting with you so it feels like a fun outing with your girlfriend instead of an embarrassing medical incident.
No comments:
Post a Comment