Today was Laurelwood Elementary School's annual Walk-a-thon. It was nice to be more experienced with the event going into it, but I had been "volun-told" (instead of me volunteering) to run the bake sale. The prior bake sale chair had done it for years and was much beloved. I was chosen because of my bake sale experience (and I'm a sucker), but this was a whole different ball game. We arrived at school before 8am so I could set up a donation table for people to drop off their items. I don't think we've ever been on campus when the first bell rings at 8am before and I doubt we'll be there again. Leo went off to class and Serafina was picked up by our carpool family and I got to work setting up. After a couple of hours, I helped in Leo's class in the library and then back in their room to pass out t-shirts. The class size reduction went into place on Monday and with two kids absent there were only 22 kids in his class. It was amazing!
Here he is in his brand new shirt. By this time, the temperature was in the mid-80s.
By the time the kids came out to walk their first lap as a class, the temperature was in the 90s with almost no breeze.
There's his buddy Kyle. Not sure what he's doing.
Here's a quick video to give you a perspective of the scope of this event. Over 600 kids with all their teachers and many parents come out for the start of the Walk-a-thon.
Kyle and Leo with Max falling for some reason.
How intense is the parent participation at Laurelwood Elementary School? This should answer your question.
That is a mom dressed as an alien in a green bodysuit in the blazing sun. The theme was "Laurelwood Elementary is Out of this World".
Here's my friend Lina. She was co-chair for the Silent Auction. She was dying in that astronaut jumpsuit, but again, the parents are committed.
I can't emphasize how sweltering hot it was out there. I haven't sweat that much outside a yoga class in my entire life. And it was hours and hours of sweating.
Here's Leo taking a cupcake break in the back of the bake sale booth.
Here was one of the offerings I made for the bake sale. It's just a bunch of candy on a stick. A candy kabob, if you will. My mom helped me make them last weekend when she was here. We just kept saying to each other "this is so disgusting." There were a sticky mess to make but they sold out quickly.
I made some "dirt" cups with some left over worms. These also went fast.
The bake sale opens mid-way through the Walk-a-thon at 4pm. We had people lining up before we opened. Most of my workers for the booth were middle school students looking to fulfill their volunteer requirement. They added some fun energy to the booth but also required much more direction and managing than the few adults I had helping.
Also, the heat really worked against us. Frosting was melting like crazy, cookies were looking mushy and sad, and people weren't in the mood for baked goods. People wanted waters and Gatorade. The bake sale usually makes over $1000, but I only made a little over $900. I'm a little peeved since I sweated it out and worked really hard, but there isn't much I can do about it. In years past, Starbucks donates coffee and that is a big draw to the bake sale. I delegated that part and it didn't come through, but even if we had coffee there, I can't imagine anyone would have wanted it. Have I mentioned it was blazing hot?
Here's Leo at the end of his laps.
He was hot and sweaty and done.
And (drum roll)... he walked 30 laps. I was so proud of him.
Tom and the kids headed home and I still had two more hours of selling and cleaning up. I got home at 8pm very exhausted. Serafina didn't spend much time with me during the Walk-a-thon. Every time she came to the booth she whined about wanting a cupcake or being too hot. Thankfully, she had lots of friends there with parents and grandparents that were willing to let her hang out with them. And once her dad got there, she was his problem.
I love the elementary school and I am in awe of devoted parents, but I don't think I can do that bake sale again. It was insanity.
No comments:
Post a Comment