Thursday, October 9, 2014

Serafina's bad day

I didn't want to rain on Leo's birthday parade by posting about Serafina's bad day.  Yesterday was rough for her.  She got upset before leaving the house because I told her she wouldn't be carpooling with her friend Bella and I would be taking her to school.  Since she was already crying, I decided to break the news that Bella had been transferred to the kindergarten class.  Apparently, her parents had her assessed and decided to move her up.  Since there is no room at our mutual home school, Laurelwood, they are letting her start kindergarten at Briarwood.  Serafina will still see Bella during morning carpool and on the playground the TK and kinder kids share, but she was understandably upset.  Things got worse when we got to school and Bella ran off holding hands with the kindergarten girls leaving Serafina in her dust.  Serafina cried and my heart broke for her.  She said she wanted to be in Room B (kindergarten) too.  Serafina is right where she should be and I'm not interested in pushing her forward so she's stuck being the youngest kid in her class for the rest of her school career.  I warned her teacher that she was having a bad morning and I knew the teacher would handle it well.  

By the time I came to help in the classroom, she was fine.  The kids had made some cookie dough earlier in the day and I was to help them shape the dough into jam thumbprint cookies.  

Here's the recipe the teacher found on the internet.  Notice anything missing?


Yeah.  SUGAR!  Hello, at least put some honey or maple syrup or something in there.

Having the kids work the dough was pretty disgusting but we got them all shaped and thumbprints pressed in.  The teacher planned to bake them and then fill them with apricot jam for "fruit Friday."  I think Serafina is going to have another bad day when she tries these cookies.  

She was upset this morning on the way to school because we resumed carpool as normal and she was to go with Bella and her dad.  She has done this dozens of times, but now she claims Bella is not her friend.  At our hand-off spot, she went with them to school fine but she looked apprehensive. According to another mom,  there was more drama because this time Serafina rejected Bella on the playground.  Oh Lordy.  If these girls are this difficult at five, I can't imagine what it will be like when they are 15.

She said her day at school was fine and hopefully everyone gets use to the new circumstances.  



No comments: